Group 1: Words related to the sentiment of being miserly
Almost all of us know people for whom this set of words could be extremely handy. This set of words is for people who are not willing to spend and are miserly in nature. You know someone who is like this, right?
Explore the full set of words here:
- Frugal: Economical, canny, careful, and meticulous.
- Penurious: Not having enough money to pay for necessities/Excessively unwilling to spend.
- Stinting: Avoiding waste.
- Cheeseparing: Giving or spending with reluctance.
- Stingy: Unwilling to spend, penny-pinching, frugal.
- Parsimonious: Excessively unwilling to spend
Group 2: Words that are related to the sentiment of being showy or flashy
Remember those people whose style is a little over the top? One of the major reasons for their appearance is the gaudy sense of style. We have a set of words that can be used for people who are flashy in their outlook.
Explore this set here:
- Ostentatious: Intended to attract notice and impress others.
- Tacky: Tastelessly showy.
- Garish: Tastelessly showy.
- Tawdry: Cheap and shoddy.
- Tacky: Cheap, tasteless, gaudy, tastelessly showy.
- Dowdy: Lacking in smartness or taste.
- Jazzy: Fancy, flashy, gaudy.
- Snazzy: Flashily stylish.
- Chintzy: Having a colourful flowery pattern.
- Kitschy: Tawdry or vulgar.
The two clusters above showcase how the method of cluster formation can be used for expanding your word-power. Use this method and your vocabulary database will surely grow exponentially.
Vocabulary Preparation Series