Group 1: Words used for expressing the sentiment of pampering or indulgence
To love and to be loved form the core of human experience. In the same vein, to be pampered and treated with care is something most human beings look forward to. To express the different emotions that fall under the sentiment, we have a wide variety of words. This cluster explores those words. Have a read:
- Coddle: To treat gently or with great care; to overprotect.
- Dandle: To caress or cuddle.
- Indulge: Treat with excessive indulgence; an act of endearment.
- Pander: To cater to; to overly indulge.
- Gratify: To treat kindly and with extra care.
- Spoil: Treat with excessive indulgence.
Group 2: Words related to sentiment of excessive flattery
This is an extremely useful cluster. Why do we say so? Well, we have all encountered individuals who make their way up the ladder by pleasing their superiors. We hate such individuals, who depend on skills other than merit and this cluster explores the same sentiment.
Explore this set here:
- Flattery: Excessive or insincere praise.
- Fawning: Attempting to win favor from influential people by flattery.
- Sycophant: A person who tries to please someone in order to gain a personal advantage.
- Lackey: A person who tries to please someone in order to gain a personal advantage.
- Toady: Try to gain favour by cringing or flattering.
The two clusters above showcase how the method of cluster formation can be used for expanding your word-power. Use this method and your vocabulary database will surely grow exponentially.