Words related to Law
The language of law is a very important one to understand; a significant portion of our lives is driven by law and legal procedures. Go through the following list to understand 20 important words that have a legal implication:
- Abscond: to depart in a sudden and secret manner, especially to avoid capture and legal prosecution.
- Amicus Curiae: a person not directly engaged in a case who advises the court.
- Arson: the act of intentionally or recklessly setting fire to another's property or to one's own property for some improper reason.
- Battery: An assault in which the assailant makes physical contact.
- Bequest: the act of bequeathing, a gift of property by will, esp personal property.
- Cause celebre: any controversy that attracts great public attention, as a celebrated legal case or trial, a famous lawsuit, trial, or controversy.
- Caveat emptor: the principle that the buyer must bear the risk for the quality of goods purchased unless they are covered by the seller's warranty.
- Codicil: a supplement modifying a will or revoking some provision of it, an additional provision; appendix.
- Contraband: goods that are prohibited by law from being exported or imported, illegal traffic in such goods; smuggling.
- Disenfranchise: to deprive (a person) of the right to vote or other rights of citizenship, to deprive (a place) of the right to send representatives to an elected body, to deprive (a business concern, etc) of some privilege or right.
- Extradition: the surrender of an alleged offender or fugitive to the state in whose territory the alleged offence was committed.
- Habeas corpus: a writ ordering a person to be brought before a court or judge, esp so that the court may ascertain whether his detention is lawful.
- Incarcerate: to imprison; confine.
- Injunction: law an instruction or order issued by a court to a party to an action, esp to refrain from some act, such as causing a nuisance, the act of enjoining.
- Jurisprudence: the science or philosophy of law, a system or body of law, a branch of law: medical jurisprudence.
- Litigious: inclined to dispute or disagree; argumentative.
- Miscreant: depraved, villainous, or base, archaic, holding a false or unorthodox religious belief; heretical.
- Perpetrator: to perform or be responsible for (a deception, crime, etc).
- Plagiarism: an act or instance of using or closely imitating the language and thoughts of another author without authorization and the representation of that author's work as one's own.
- Probation: the testing or trial of a person's conduct, character, qualifications, or the like.