Words related to Family
What is a suffix?
The most important part of one's personal life is one's family. Considering the importance of a family unit and the multifarious roles available under the wide umbrella of the human family, it makes sense that the English language has a dedicated set of words to take care of this important function in human life. A list of 25 'family-related' words is given below:
- Ancestor: predecessor in family
- Care-giver: a person who cares for someone who is sick or disabled.
- Foster child: a child raised by someone who is not its natural or adoptive parent.
- Foster parent: a person who acts as parent and guardian for a child in place of the child's natural parents but without legally adopting the child.
- Fraternal: of or befitting a brother or brothers; brotherly.
- Heir: a person who inherits or has a right of inheritance in the property of another following the latter's death.
- Hereditary: descending or capable of descending to succeeding generations by inheritance, derived from one's ancestors; traditional.
- Infant: a child during the earliest period of its life, especially before he or she can walk; baby.
- Juvenile: young, youthful, or immature, suitable or designed for young people.
- Kin: kindred of the same family; related; akin.
- Kinship: family relationship.
- Kith: blood relative
- Lineage: Direct descent from a particular ancestor; ancestry.
- Matriarch: A woman who rules a family, clan, or tribe.
- Matrimony: he state of being married; marriage.
- Nuptial: of or pertaining to marriage or the marriage ceremony.
- Offspring: children or young of a particular parent or progenitor.
- Paternal: Relating to or characteristic of a father or fatherhood; fatherly.
- Patriarch: A man who rules a family, clan, or tribe.
- Progenitor: a person or thing that first indicates a direction, originates something, or serves as a model; predecessor; precursor.
- Progeny: The immediate descendants of a person.
- Sibling: A person's brother or sister.
- Spouse: A person's partner in marriage.
- Surrogate mother: A woman who bears a child for a couple where the wife is unable to do so.
- Wedlock: The state of being a married couple voluntarily joined for life (or until divorce).